10 West Broad Street, Suite 1900
Columbus, OH 43215
Ann Arbor: 734.707.1882
2723 South State St., Suite 150
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
I provide exceptional, client-focused legal services through value-based fee agreements. As Partner in Charge of KJK’s Columbus office, I handle commercial litigation, business law, estate planning, and employment matters across Ohio, Michigan, and internationally.
In 2015, I was selected as one of the Top 5 Lawyers in Columbus and Top 100 Lawyers in Ohio. I hold an AV® Preeminent rating from my colleagues and was listed as one of the “Top Lawyers” in Columbus by Columbus CEO Magazine in 2014 and 2015. Every year since 2012, I have been selected as a Super Lawyer or Rising Star by Super Lawyer magazine, a distinction reserved for no more than the top 5% of lawyers in a state.
As a rising professional and community leader, I received Business First’s prestigious “Forty Under 40” award in 2015 and Leadership Upper Arlington’s Distinguished Alumni Award in 2017. These award are given to individuals who have made exemplary leadership contributions to their business and civic communities.
I am also an adjunct professor at the Ohio State University Moritz College of Law where I teach future lawyers concepts in drafting and negotiating complex transaction documents from a litigator’s perspective.
During law school, I served as an extern for Magistrate Mark R. Abel of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. Before law school, I was a research and marketing analyst in Taipei, Taiwan.
Active in the community, my wife and I founded The Berkshire Triathlon, a 501(c)(3) charity, which has raised more than $65,000 for sick children in Central Ohio benefiting Flying Horse Farms, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, and the Ronald McDonald House.
- All Ohio state courts
- All Michigan state courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D., Executive-Editor, Ohio State Entrepreneurial Business Law Journal
- University of Michigan, B.A., Economics
- Successful resolution of $6.3 million combined breach of sales representative agreement and construction dispute pending in U.S., Canadian, and Mexican federal courts.
- Prevailed in bench trial in $3.8 million breach of settlement agreement action against national bank, and was awarded $120,000 in legal fees.
- Settled $2.6 million lawsuit filed in Federal Court by one of the largest law firms in the midwest for violations of trade secret, non-compete, and tortious interference laws seeking a temporary restraining order within 7 days for a $0 payment, an agreement to not use information the client never had, and not contact clients the client was not soliciting.
- Successful resolution of $2.4 million joint venture dispute pending in multiple jurisdictions.
- Prevailed at week long jury trial on behalf of business by obtaining $42,000 in breach of contract action, while obtaining directed verdict on adversary’s fraud and conversion claims and a verdict throwing out adversary’s $650,000 breach of contract and trade secret misappropriation claims.
- Serves as outside general counsel to a number of companies, from manufacturers and distributors to marketing and international software companies.
- Established estate plans for numerous families in Ohio and Michigan, including revocable trusts, wills, powers of attorney, foreign beneficiaries and guardians, and other supporting documents.
- Organized, merged, acquired, restructured, and divested dozens of privately-held companies in the technology, outsourcing, marketing, medical, manufacturing, and services industries.
- Obtained complete return of investor’s equity in excess of $190,000 in closely held investment partnership dispute where the general partner attempted to abscond with investor’s funds.
- Argued and successfully obtained and defended injunctive relief in numerous business disputes.
- Johnson v. Big Lots Stores, Inc., 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 199525 (E.D. Mich. Dec. 5, 2017)
- D.P. Dough Franchising, LLC v. Southworth, 2017 U.S. Dist. Lexis 157951 (S.D. Ohio Sept. 26, 2017)
- Wensink Farm Seeds, Inc. v. Lafever et al., 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 97609 (N.D. Ohio Jun. 23, 2017)
- Cap City Dental Lab v. Ladd et al., 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 118566 (S.D. Ohio Sept. 1, 2016)
- Cap City Dental Lab v. Ladd et al., 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 118570 (S.D. Ohio Sept. 1, 2016)
- Cooke v. Logan Insulating & Foam Serv., LLC et al., 2016-Ohio-1424 (5th Dist. Mar. 31, 2016)
- Cap City Dental Lab v. Ladd et al., 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 154542 (S.D. Ohio Nov. 16, 2015)
- Ward et al. v. Rawlake et al., 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 104798 (S.D. Ohio Aug. 10, 2015)
- RAE Assocs. v. Nexus Communs., Inc., 2015-Ohio-2166 (10th Dist. Jun. 4, 2015)
- Ward et al. v. Rawlake et al., 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 35063 (S.D. Ohio Mar. 20, 2015)
- Murtech Energy Servs., LLC v. ComEnCo Sys. et al., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 85502 (E.D. Mich. Jun. 24, 2014)
- Ohio Council 8 Am. Fedn. of State v. Brunner, 462 Fed. Appx. 557 (6th Cir. Feb. 16, 2012)
- Nationwide Mut. Ins. Co. v. McRae, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 60782 (S.D. Ohio June 7, 2011)
- Levy v. Cain, Watters & Assocs., P.L.L.C., 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 9537 (S.D. Ohio Jan. 15, 2010)
- Ohio Neighborhood Fin. Inc. v. Massey, 2011 Ohio 2165 (10th Dist. May 5, 2011)
- Ohio Neighborhood Fin., Inc. v. Christie, 2010 Ohio 5017 (8th Dist. Oct. 14, 2010)
- Alice’s Home v. Childcraft Educ. Corp., 2010 Ohio 4121 (10th Dist. Sept. 2, 2010)
- Zupp v. Mun. Civil Serv. Comm’n, 187 Ohio App.3d 614 (10th Dist. 2010)
- Fleisher v. Ford Motor Co., 2009-Ohio 4847 (10th Dist. Sept. 15, 2009)
- Fleisher v. Ford Motor Co., 2009-Ohio 3846 (10th Dist. Aug. 4, 2009)
Presentations & Publications
- National Business Institute, Clarifying Procedures in Mergers and Acquisitions of Privately-Held Companies • Jun. 27, 2017
- Allied Universal, Workplace Violence: Planning & Prevention • May 10, 2017
- National Business Institute, LLCs From Start to Finish • Dec. 12, 2016
- Supreme Court of Ohio Commission on Professionalism, “The Resilient Professional: Learning How to Rebound, Adapt & Thrive.” • Oct. 21, 2016
- Supreme Court of Ohio Commission on Professionalism, “Preparing the Leaders of Tomorrow’s Changing the Legal Profession” • Nov. 14, 2014
- National Business Institute, LLCs: From Formation to Special Uses • Sept. 30, 2013
- National Business Institute, Construction Defect Litigation: From A to Z • Mar. 4, 2013
- “Avoiding the ‘Friday-Monday Law’: FMLA Best Practices” • Mar. 23, 2010
- “Protecting Your IP Rights in China: An Overview of the Process” • 1 Entrenpren. Bus. L.J. 63, 2006
- Co-Founder and Past-President, The Berkshire Triathlon, benefiting Flying Horse Farms and the Ronald McDonald House
- Vice President, University of Michigan Central Ohio Alumni Club
- Past coach, Upper Arlington Junior High and J.V. hockey teams
- Graduate, City of Upper Arlington Leadership Program
- Mentor, Supreme Court of Ohio Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program
- Member, Federal Bar Association